A papal year in review: Ten highlights from 2013
Though Pope Francis has only been the pope for less than a year, he’s made news more than a few times. Here are 10 pontifical highlights from 2013.
2. He got a new (well, old) and adorable popemobile . The 1984 Renault was a gift from Father Renzo Zocca, and runs on biofuel.
4. He has reached out to atheists , on more than one occasion , publicly acknowledging that atheists and agnostics can work together with Christians and Muslims and Jews toward the common good.
5. He washed a young Muslim woman’s feet during the Holy Thursday service last Easter.
7. He earned the title Batpope from Stephen Colbert , with speculation that perhaps the pontiff sneaks out at night to help the poor.
8. He gave a long and freewheeling interview on a plane that caused quite a stir .
9. He took on trickle-down economics and unjust economic systems . Again and again , Pope Francis seems to be reaffirming his (and the church’s) commitment to the poor. Rush Limbaugh even called him a Marxist.
10. He earned the title “cold-call pope” when he made phone calls to Catholics around the world, including young people with limited job prospects, to pregnant women , and rape victims . In those phone calls, Pope Francis conveyed a message of hope and caring for those on the other end.
Yes, in 2013, Pope Francis seems to have given a breath of fresh air to the Vatican. Who knows what 2014 will bring!
Image: Paul Haring of Catholic News Service via Religion News Service.