The Recollected Heart - discussion questions
Read, slowly and out loud, these three quotations that appear in The Recollected Heart. Then use the questions that follow as a guide for a group discussion. Refer back to the quotations as you discuss.
"Come away by yourselves to a lonely place, and rest a while." - Mark 6:31
"Society is like the air, necessary to breathe, but insufficient to live on." - George Santayana
"And after he had dismissed the crowds, he went up the mountain by himself to pray." - Matthew 14:23
- How would you describe "a lonely place," and what do you feel when you are in such a place?
- In what type of place are you most able to "rest a while"?
- How do you respond to the quote by Santayana? Is he too critical of society, or has he made a valid point? Why or why not?
- What is the role of society in your life?
- Are you lonelier in a crowd, or when you are by yourself?
- Describe your ideal place for prayer.