body:

<p>
Thank you for taking the time to take this month&#39;s poll.
</p>
<p>
In this month&#39;s <a href="/translations">Sounding Board survey</a>, Bishop Donald W. Trautman argues that the new translation of the Missal is incomprehensible. Read about the changes and tell us how they sound to you.
</p>
<h5><a href="/translations">Please take our entire survey on the new translations of the Roman Missal by clicking here.</a> </h5>
<p>
The results will appear in the July 2010 issue of <em>U.S. Catholic</em>. <a href="https://www.cambeywest.com/usc/uscpaids.asp" target="_blank">Order your copy today! </a>
</p>
<p>
<a href="/poll">Take other polls here.</a>
</p>

Comments

Latin is a language of unrivaled beauty and Latin in the liturgy is a venerable Catholic tradition. It places a verbal veil over the sacred liturgy and elevates our prayer, bringing it above street level.

Keeping everything in Latin is the best way to avoid these silly squabbles about translation.

Submitted by Giovanni A. Cattaneo (not verified) on

Let the Roman Catholics be Roman again.

The Second Vatican council clearly written documents expressed that the Latin was to preserved in the celebration of the Mass and that the lay were to be taught the parts that were pertain them to them. Not to abolish our traditions for the sake of fads.

Yes, in the glorious mother tongue of western civilization - the majestic sonorous Latin, immune to the feckless changes of the many and irrational vernaculars. We need to have ONE LANGUAGE and that will be it. Latin usage in liturgy unites us - and gives us a splendid and elegant ambiance in which to worship.

Submitted by Anonimus (not verified) on

Wow Are the really that many people who understand Latin. I thought I was the only one.

Submitted by Giovanni A. Cattaneo (not verified) on

No but I think that there as many people willing to learn or at the very least read their Missals.

Submitted by The_Truth (not verified) on

OMG... I can't even believe this is a debate, never to mind that people actually want the Latin version. Besides the fallacious assumption that people think items such as context can be 100% accurately translated even if it is in Latin, the whole idea is antiquated. Why live in a time capsule?

As just one example of many, let's say that an alien came down to earth and reads one of our newspaper headlines (FYI: Baron is an NBA player) that said, "Baron Davis On Fire.... Rest of Warriors Can't Shoot." They might think that a king (Baron) was engulfed in flames (on fire) and his army (Warriors) was inept (can't shoot). Getting the true context from 2K years ago is impossible. Thus, most of the individual lines in the Bible are rather trivial as compared to the overriding themes which are far more likely to come across accurately (and even still they aren't completely accurate).

But hey, there is definitely one good thing to come out of this... this will help to reduce hebephilia and ephebophilia in the Church as I'm sure teens will LOVE going to listen to this as much as they love suffering through Shakespeare in English class.

Jesus spoke in simple parables so that EVERYONE could understand them, including the children. Not rocket science people. The RCC wants to make it difficult for people to understand in order to use a psychological technique to have more control of their giant thumb being held over their flock.

Peace...Oops... I mean Pax.

Submitted by The_Truth (not verified) on

"Sorry you had to suffer through Shakespeare, TT -- some of us actually enjoyed him, even as teens. Apparently you have an equally sophisticated take on the Mass."

Moreover, for someone who is attempting to come across as sophisticated, you might want to realize that I said, "I'm sure TEENS will love going to listen to this as much as THEY love suffering through Shakespeare in English class." Thus, I never said that I "suffered through it," but rather teens as a whole.

However, if you feel you must ignore the larger gist in favor of nitpicking an item that you know is not the point I was attempting to make, then so be it.

In the immortal words of Billy: "The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."

Peace!

Submitted by Terence (not verified) on

Proverbs 10:19: "When there are many words, transgression is unavoidable, But he who restrains his lips is wise."

Perhaps brevity or silence is best, lest your wisdom be question.

Submitted by The_Truth (not verified) on

"I think someone as accomplished as you wouldn't feel the need to trot out lines such as, "LOL... one of my higher education degrees is actually in English. Thus, I've read more Shakespeare than most."

Who said I was accomplished? Compared to Bubba sitting in a jail cell somewhere I am accomplished. Compared to Thomas Edison, I am far from accomplished.

"Perhaps brevity or silence is best, lest your wisdom be question."

Likewise.