body:

<p>
Thank you for taking the time to take this month&#39;s poll.
</p>
<p>
In this month&#39;s <a href="/translations">Sounding Board survey</a>, Bishop Donald W. Trautman argues that the new translation of the Missal is incomprehensible. Read about the changes and tell us how they sound to you.
</p>
<h5><a href="/translations">Please take our entire survey on the new translations of the Roman Missal by clicking here.</a> </h5>
<p>
The results will appear in the July 2010 issue of <em>U.S. Catholic</em>. <a href="https://www.cambeywest.com/usc/uscpaids.asp" target="_blank">Order your copy today! </a>
</p>
<p>
<a href="/poll">Take other polls here.</a>
</p>

Comments

Submitted by Jono (not verified) on

I was born in 1983. When I went to college and took beginning Latin class, I thought it would be fun to see if my translations were in any similar to what we had in the Missal. I was shocked to find that the prayers had been robbed not only of their poetry but also of any substance.

It made me angry that my heritage was being deliberately witheld from me. Indeed, I was prevented from actively participating in the liturgy of the Roman Rite because it was being whitewashed, in order that I would not understand the true sense of the Church.

I have no problem with Mass celebrated in the vernacular (or Latin, or a vernacular/Latin hybrid) but it is of the utmost importance that true, accurate translations be made of the texts so that the people may actively and actually participate in the Mass.

Submitted by Qualis Rex (not verified) on

I'm roughly in your age group and felt the same way. It's hard not to blame those who delibarately robbed us of our tradition and birthright. But God will reward us for our suffering and our diligence in bringing it back!

Nothing worth fighting for ever comes easy.

Submitted by Fr P (not verified) on

As a Catholic who grew up in the Post Vatican II Church and now a priest I was wondering, Is it possible to be positive about the upcoming new translation. Obviously it is going to take adjustment on all not just the laity but Clergy as well. This is a great opportunity to unite the Church into the beauty of a Sacred Language which we are going to be praying. As one of the chief teachers of the faith, I think that Bishop Trautman does a disservice to the Church and sets the translation up for failure and negative reaction.
FrP

Submitted by Romulus (not verified) on

Liturgy is an encounter with God -- who's almost entirely mystery.

If you can understand the liturgy, something is wrong with it.

Submitted by Remus (not verified) on

< > SILENCE should be our only response when the ineffable mystery YHWH - I AM WHO I AM (to be) is encountered.

If you cannot understand the liturgy, then you are not fully participating in it; something, then, is wrong with your approach

Submitted by Joe Adams (not verified) on

I too was shocked to see how amazingly inaccurate the translations are from the English to the Original languages. What is paramount, here, is that the language of the Mass be in complete cohesion with not only the Tradition and theology of the Church, but also with the understanding that the Mass is the one place on Earth, where we can experience the eternal reality of Heaven. Why would we not want to be elevated into a higher plane of reality and thinking? I for one am not in agreement with Bp. Trautman, simply because the more you continue to dumb down language, the worse it will, exponentially, get. Just look at the U.S. Public School system and you will see exactly how little anyone actually learns, anymore. We want to be counter-cultural in our approach to modern civilization. Yes, we must obey the laws of our land. But this in no way means that we should do the same as what occurred in the so-called "Dark Ages" after two separate Barbarian invasions all but wiped out literacy among the average person. If Bp. Trautman's intent is to simply deny the average person in the pews the education that is due to them, than I would suggest that he resign due to his inability to carry out the instructions set forth in Canon Law for education of the faithful by their Bishop/Pastor. (Canon 794, if interested) As well, he should be front and center in his enforcement of Ex Corde Ecclesiae.

Submitted by John Polhamus (not verified) on

The heart of the liturgy, as has been said before, is an "incomprehensible" mystery (I cribbed that word, all six syllables of it, from the introduction to this poll." Now, I know very few people who use that word in daily conversation, but as a high school teacher, I'm well used to the idea that people can learn new ones on a daily basis. I feel rather certain that I can, as well, because people are fundamentally intelligent, or at least I think so and am willing to give them credit for so being. Would that His Excellency the Bishop was willing to give them the same credit.

Let us have the mystery back in the mass, and let us be responsible for approaching understanding in so far as we are able. That way we become fundamentally aspirational, rather than complacent Catholics.

Submitted by Christopher D (not verified) on

Latin! Latin! LATIN! Come now, are we not to be immutable? Hmmm are we not the Catholic Church or rather the Universal Church? I want to be able to go to Mass in the United States then in Spain and have the same liturgy. Granted I would not be able to understand the homily, but in these trying times, I am better off not!
None the less, tradition seems to back up my argument; it was fine for over a thousand years to have it in Latin! What revelation had occurred in the 1960's?
Yet one must realize it is not what I want, oh dear no, nor is it what the populous wants rather it is what Almighty God wants in the person of the Spirit who guides us. Let us not forget that Christ told us that a tree is to be judged by its fruit and sadly our Church has manifested itself into a rotten apple. We have the possibility to be saved or cured rather by the Motu Proprio and these new translations. Please allow us to be saved!
One last point that must be made, many are trying to turn the Ordinary Form into the Extraordinary Form. Why is that? Ahh yes, the Extraordinary Form is far more solemn andv in keeping with tradition. Perhaps we should stop trying to turn the Ordinary Form into the Extraordinary Form but rather succumbing to the Extraordinary Form? We’re Catholic! It is in our blood to love the Mass and enjoy its baroque beauty and solemnity, why deprive us from that? If one wants that, join the protestants (God forbid).

I'd vote for "Latin and vernacular", as envisioned by the Council Fathers in Sacrosanctum Concilium #36 and #54. Having the readings and the Prayer of the Faithful in the vernacular seems wise to me. I'd love to have the ordinary in Latin, and I wouldn't mind some of the propers in Latin either.