Article credits:

Thank you for completing the poll question. Women Religious, please click here to tell us more about the quality of your life as a women religious and share your opinion on the apostolic visitation. Lay people, please click here to take our Reader Survey on the apostolic visitation of women religious.

UPDATE: The deadline for our Reader Survey has passed.  Thanks for participating.  Look for the results in our upcoming January issue!

Comments

"If that church [the Roman Catholic Church] does get any authority from God, then the authority vests in The Church, i.e., the people of God, not an organizational structure."

But the Church (the People of God) IS an organizational, hierarchical body!

"Try as you may, you cannot conflate one with the other."

Um, if Vatican II can "conflate" them, then so can he, and so may I. See Lumen Gentium (LG), especially chapter 3 (nn. 18-29).

"[The Holy Spirit] both equips and directs [the Church] with hierarchical and charismatic gifts and adorns with His fruits." (LG 4)

"[T]he society structured with hierarchical organs and the Mystical Body of Christ, are not to be considered as two realities ... rather they form one complex reality which coalesces from a divine and a human element." (LG 8)

The "People of God" concept of the Church is not opposed to the ordered and hierarchical concept of the Church, nor does the former replace the latter. The exist simultaneously, albeit in a certain healthy tension.

Submitted by David Phillips (not verified) on

Gospel according to St. Matthew, Chapter 16:

"16 Simon Peter answered and said: Thou art Christ, the Son of the living God. 17 And Jesus answering, said to him: Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-Jona: because flesh and blood hath not revealed it to thee, but my Father who is in heaven. 18 And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. 19 And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven."

I want to begin by saying I have so much gratitude for the 12 years I served as a Religious, my love for God is deep because of those years. I have a lot of gratitude to the sisters with whom I lived and learned and with whom I served God. I do however carry a concern that the particular order I was in, since it was still in its foundational years and the Church was in such tumult, that traditions and practices have taken root that block their growth and possible survival. I wish that when there is a history of former religious making complaints that a deeper investigation would be made to help them move through the order's developmental hurdle they cannot seem to do so on their own. I pray with love for them and sometimes regret that I was too young to understand that I could have stayed and made a difference with God's grace.... that I did not fully understand at the time! Choicest blessings on all who choose to serve Jesus in this way!

Submitted by Jimmy Mac (not verified) on

Knowing the readership of US Catholic as I do, I sincerely question the polling results as being representative of that readership.

Could an interference by a certain priest who writes for The Wanderer have something to do with this vote?

Submitted by Jim Wilson (not verified) on

I agree. How could so many people really believe this is necessary? Would those same people also think that the "male only" groups should be investigated too????

Submitted by GA Catholic (not verified) on

Don't seminaries count as "male-only groups?"
They were investigated.

I felt the same way about the results of this on-line survey. I can't believe there are so many people who read the US Catholic that feel this way.

Your insight into a negative priest who writes for the Wanderer makes a lot of sense and gives me hope that there are more who feel this study is unjustified.

God Bless our US Sisters who are being targeted.

Submitted by Fr. Brian (not verified) on

I give thanks to the wonderful religious Sisters, the Brentwood Josephites who were my teachers in two elementary schools. They were excellent educators, kind and compassionate women, and taught a Vatican II theology in a pre-Vatican II church.
I have worked with Dominicans of Sparkill, Benedictines of Atchison, Cordi-Marian Missionaries, Charities of Leavenworth, Holy Cross, Missionary Catechists of the Sacred Heart,and Dominicans of Mission San Jose. I have found these women to be profound faith filled role models for all the people of God - male and female, lay, religious, and the ordained.
I think these Sisters have taken Vatican II more seriously than any other group in the church. Perhaps they could visit others to help them (parishes, dioceses, men's groups, the Roman Curia) really apply the teaching of Vatican II.
Thanks Sisters.

Submitted by GA Catholic (not verified) on

Please let us know, Father, what teachings of Vatican II you are particularly talking about.

Submitted by Brother Charles (not verified) on

I think Fr. Brian's comment speaks so well of the blessing Sisters are to the church.