body:

<h2>Thank you for your response. <a href="/node/2115">Click here to fill out the rest of this month&#39;s Sounding Board Survey</a>. </h2>

Comments

Submitted by orthros (not verified) on

... depends on the Rite of the Church.

All of my children received First Eucharist at their baptism when they were only weeks old, as is common in Eastern Rites.

As such, I can see no problem with making exceptions in the Latin Church, especially for someone like Nellie who explicitly affirmed the Real Presence.

Submitted by John David (not verified) on

Yes, so no matter where in th world you went to mass you would be equally uninformed as to what was being said as you are in the mass of your home parish. That said, the truth is I actually have always missed the latin mass, but for a different, and I think a more meaningful, reason. I just felt I was able to pray more during the latin mass than I am during the new mass.

But the question I would like to ask is why does it have to be one or the other? I think that imposing the new mass on all was a mistake. It would be the same to completely eliminate the mass in the venacular. Can't we just allow both to co-exist and just see some attending one and not the other simply as a preference? Both are celebrating the death and resurecting of Jesus. Why can't that be the unity that holds us together?

Submitted by AnAnonymousSemi... (not verified) on

The exact reason that you point out - that Mass in the Extraordinary Form is (at least to some) more conducive to prayer - is the reason why the EF Mass (which was never suppressed, and also whose use was promoted in 1988 by Pope John Paul II) has been liberated by Pope Benedict.

Neither suppression of Mass in the Ordinary Form nor the suppression of Mass in the Vernacular seems to be the goal here, and only the most extreme traditionalists suggest either. To do either by force would be more destructive to the Faithful now than the de facto suppression of the EF in 1970.

Many who promote the EF are seeking the exact type of unity you propose, because they have no dog in the ideological fights that took place in the 1960s and 70s. (In my case, I was born well after those fights.) Unfortunately, the author, with his seeming ignorance of the content of the documents of Vatican II, seems to still be fighting these fights.

Good Lord...what don't you understand? I'll assume you are maybe younger...let's say for the sake of argument that you are 25. If you have been attending Mass since you were a kid, even somewhat regularly (I don't know why this would even be an issue if this weren't true) then you have "heard" and "understood" this Mass in English perhaps what... 500...600... 750 times? Do you still not know what is being said? The Latin says the same thing! If you know what the Gloria says in English, then you know what it says in Latin because it says THE SAME THING. Once you have "learned the Mass" it doesn't matter what language it is said in... you know (or should know) what is being said. Most EF Masses said now present the readings in the vernacular, so that is a non-issue. Assisting at Mass requires some homework...learn the Mass and the language thing becomes a non-issue as well.

Submitted by Eminem Relapse ... (not verified) on

: )     no more controversy... the comments i can delete i'm deleting

Submitted by Micheal G Groshong (not verified) on

Latin is a language like any other now and as such has little to do with unity in the Roman Catholic Church in the 21st Century. Mass happens in the language of the people.

While Latin has a stylistic beauty, I still need a missal as I would attending a Spanish Mass so it is not something I would make a habit.

For those who feel the Mass is valid only when heard in Latin, I would refer them to the Protestant position about using the King James translation of the Bible as authoritative.

Both positions lack perception in reality I think and should be considered such.

Submitted by April Villani (not verified) on

It is comforting to attend a Latin Mass when traveling abroad because it helps us to realize we are truly "one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church". We live in a small world where we travel all about the globe. The Latin Mass offers a commonality among people of all languages and nationalities to come together to celebrate the Sacrifice of the Mass and to receive Jesus Christ. In the Latin Mass, we share the Body and Blood of Christ along with our brothers and sisters in Christ no matter where they may be from.

Additionally, learning about the Latin Mass helps us to understand and appreciate the teachings and traditions of the Church that have been handed down through generations.

Submitted by Michael (not verified) on

I attend both the Tridentine (Latin) and the Vatican II (Vernacular) mass. From what I have witnessed in general, the congregations at the Tridentine Mass have a great respect for the real presence of Christ in the tabernacle and the silent prayer of their neighors in church. In contrast, I have witnessed many congregations at the Vatican II Mass openly talking in church while others are trying to pray and not showing any respect for Christ in the tabernacle. I think all the people in their 60's and 70's, who seem to be the ones raising a fuss about the return of the Latin mass, need to examine their consciences on what type of behavior they have displayed in church in front of younger people like me. You have not set a good example.

Submitted by Carolyn (not verified) on

I agree with you. I am one of those 60's somethings and attend a church which is mostly older people. They can be rude and talkative.

Submitted by joyful grump (not verified) on

I am someone in my late 20s who is a recent 'convert' to the EXTRAORDINARY FORM of the ROMAN RITE after growing up in a very liberal parish. I now go to daily mass, NO 4 days a week, EX 3 days. Yet when I am at NO I just now want EX form. The richness of the prayers e.g. Judica Me, the connection to our Jewish roots of the High Priest entering the holy of holies. The priest facing east not seen as turning his back, but rather leading us into this Holy place. God Bless Pope Benedict for his Motu Proprio which opened this world to me! Those who have had bad experiences at childhood about the Latin mass, learn it again... if only you realised what us younger catholics have been missing out on!